Thursday, November 15, 2012

Candidate Profile - Chris Whyte

This week's profile is Chris Whyte from Perth. Check out Chris's details below.



Curtin University Graduate (2012) - Bachelor of Science (Geographic Information Science), Majoring in Geospatial Analysis

Desired Location: Perth, Western Australia (will consider relocation for the right opportunity)

Having recently graduated, I’m eager to start full time employment and further my career in GIS. I’ve spent two years as a Student GIS Officer within the Fortescue Metals GIS department (located in Perth, WA) in a part time capacity whilst completing my degree. My responsibilities currently include but are not limited to:

·         A wide variety of Map Production tasks in ArcGIS (Previously using MapInfo)
o   Symbology Balance
o   Imagery Tasks
o   Contour Generation
o   Various DEM/DSM tasks
·         Data Management
o   Formatting and Packaging data for distribution
o   Managing incoming data
o   Data Capture and Classification (Digitising)
·         Customisation
o   Developing Model Builder processes to speed up common tasks
·         Instruction and Troubleshooting
o   Providing help to new users and helping to solve problems within the GIS team

My interest and experience lie in the mining sector, however being exposed to the various requirements put on the GIS team by all the departments has lead to me being primarily based in Environmental Mapping (habitat, disturbance calculation, permits etc). Operations and infrastructure maps are also of interest, liaising with engineers and mine planners to enable clear communication of map purpose continues to be a large part of my responsibility.

In terms of desired responsibilities, I feel I’d fit in well with small to medium size team that requires someone who takes independent steps to complete tasks ranging from Map Production to Data Management. I consider myself an outgoing person, so a role that involves training those new to GIS could be also suitable. Going forward I have ambition to add more software customisation and 3D experience to my skill set through further study/on the job experience, for now I’ll be happy to stay in the 2D realm while I gain experience within the GIS industry.

I’ve the normal experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office software and an above average knowledge of Operating systems of the Microsoft Windows variety. Should you require more information or an example of some of my work don’t hesitate to get in contact!

Thanks!

Chris Whyte (BSc)

(0418923640)

cwhyte@fmgl.com.au


No comments:

Post a Comment